Why Do My Gums Bleed When I Brush?January 5, 2019
Why Do My Gums Bleed When I Brush?
Why Do My Gums Bleed When I Brush? Bleeding gums are caused by inadequate plaque removal. The germs in plaque attack healthy teeth tissue and gums get irritated and inflamed. This causes bleeding gums when brushing. You are suffering from gingivitis which is the first stage of gum disease.
What is dental plaque?
It’s a sticky film that coats teeth and is full of bacteria. Plaque is the main cause of cavities and gum disease. Especially, Bleeding gums, bad breath, receding gumline are the common symptoms of dental plaque. If you touch teeth with tongue and get a fuzzy feel, that's a dental plaque. In advanced cases, it could appear as a grayish or yellowish coating on teeth. You get cavities even if you brush daily.
Moreover, Plaque damages tooth enamel leading to tooth decay. If it is not removed it enters tooth pulp through the dentin. Thus, Plaque retained for a long time irritates gums, leading to inflammation of gumline called gingivitis.
Why Do My Gums Bleed When I Brush?
Why should you care about dental plaque? Well, its simple. If you ignore it, plaque on the roots of the teeth under the gums, destroy the bone that supports the tooth. Your tooth falls off.
The bacteria from plaque enter the bloodstream, infecting organs like the lungs and the heart. Plaque could disseminate into the walls of blood vessels, causing narrowing called atherosclerosis. This means heart diseases.
So why care about Gingivitis? Gingivitis is the swelling of gums. It’s a gum disease which is the number one cause of tooth decay. If you have bleeding gums while brushing and flossing, tender or reddish-purple gums, receding, swollen or puffy gums or persistent bad breath, you are showing the symptoms of gingivitis.
Gingivitis results in tooth loss and the cause is a dental plaque. You need to solve the problem at the roots. This is where you need a dentist. Moreover, A dentist can identify plaque by a thorough examination of teeth and oral cavity using dental tools. Go through tips to choose the best dental clinic in Bangalore.
Bleeding Gums Treatment
- A dentist uses a special solution to identify plaque. If dental plaque has hardened to tartar, brushing and flossing is just not enough. Only your dentist can help you and he uses scaling and root planing.
- Scaling is the removal of tartar from the teeth and the gumline by professional cleaning, while root planing removes the byproducts produced by bacteria. This prevents the further buildup of tartar and keeps teeth root surfaces, smooth.
Many people are stumped by this question. Is it good if your gums bleed when you brush your teeth? Definitely not and this is why you must prevent gum bleeding.
Visit Our Dental Clinic In Bangalore To Know More
How to prevent gum disease?
- Brush your teeth after every meal at least twice each day with a homemade probiotic toothpaste or a baking soda toothpaste or gum rub.
- As a matter of fact, floss between teeth at least once each day to remove food particles which cause tooth decay.
- Use a dental pick to get trapped food particles and bacteria out from between your teeth.
- Brush with a soft bristled toothbrush and change every 2-3 months.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial alcohol-free mouthwash, to clear off any bacteria which remain after brushing.
- Stick to a well-balanced diet which has plenty of fruits and green vegetables rich in Vitamin C, A, and E, to strengthen the immune system. Eating crunchy vegetables and fruits like cucumber, carrots and apple, stimulates the secretion of saliva which clears bacteria and protects teeth.
- Cut down on sugary food and drink which spreads bacteria in your mouth. Have a look at top 10 reasons for toothaches
- Smoking lowers body’s immune system, making it harder to fight plaque. That’s a good reason to quit smoking. Read effects of smoking on dental health.
- Moreover, Visit a dentist once every 6-12 months to get teeth checked and cleaned. Find dentist nearby who can help you.
- Use an electric toothbrush to remove plaque and tartar.
- Ask your dentist if you need orthodontic work and check if dental appliances need to be repaired.
Why Do Gums Bleed When I Brush - Is It dangerous?
Why Do My Gums Bleed When I Brush? Gingivitis is the first stage of gum disease which can soon move to the next stage called periodontitis. Periodontitis causes tooth loss and can affect overall health. Thus, if you have bleeding gums, its wise to visit your dentist
1: Your teeth and gums are healthy and normal.
2: Plaque causes gum inflammation and tartar builds on teeth.
3: Gum inflammation causes teeth to separate from gums forming spaces called pockets and the destruction of tissue and bone begins called periodontitis.
4: Severe periodontitis causes gum recession, deeper pockets and can even destroy the jawbone. In fact, your teeth become loose and must be removed.
Say goodbye to bleeding gums. Help your dentist bring back that smile on your face.